Thursday, March 12, 2009

My Newest Project

I don't know about you but when Spring is just around the corner I get itch'n to move.....move furniture, rearrange, paint, redecorate, pack away the heaviness of winter and embrace the freshness of spring. Well, along with many of you, I'm "on a budget" and can't just whip of and pick up a handful of new diddies like I wish I could.

So, I was perusing through some blogs and found a great blog that I'm sure you've checked out before...I know SL has mentioned it....Nesting Place....this girl is full of so many GREAT ideas for decorating for free or little to nothin'.

I loved the "Ragamuffin Garland" she created and posted on, now she also sells
some in her Etsy store.

I decided to create my own, as I knew this would be a great addition to my girls' room...
and it would add a little something fresh above their beds.

Step 1:
Gather fabric...search through cupboards, linen closets, clothes that may be heading to the VV boutique....anything!

I dug out some old bandannas from a b-day party, the ends of drapes I cut off when I had to hem them, fabric remnants from baby blankets that never got finished, old receiving blankets that I would have just gave away, then I popped into a local store to check out their remnant section...luckily they were selling off old 12 x 12 fabric swatches so I got a handful that had the same colors that are in the girl's duvets (pale greens, yellow & coral).

Cut the fabric into strips, I'd say about 1" wide and 12" long.

Here's a snap of a couple fabrics and some I already cut into strips:


Step 2:
Next, find some embellishments, pieces of ribbon, lace, tassels, glittered chipboard pieces
from scrap booking, pictures, mementos, anything you want!
Step 3:
Get yourself some drapery rings...I had some stashed away from a rod set
that I bought but didn't use the rings:

Step 4: Assembly:
Cut a piece of ribbon the length of your arm span, attach a ring to each end
so you don't loose the ends and you have something to attach it to the wall with.

I also attached a few rings along the ribbon so I could clip on extra things
like embellishments, pictures, baby booties, initials, etc.

Then start tying on your fabric and ribbons...and just keep tying.
You will think it's done and then you hold it up and it needs more...so keep going.
This is a good project to do while watching a movie.

I'm not done yet, but when both are done and in the girl's room I'll show you.

Thanks again to Nesting Place for amazingly cheap or almost free decorating ideas!

Hope you have a wonderfully creative day,
L.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Shawna said...

:: LOVE IT ::

I too get inspired seeing Nester and the things she does...and as far as the itch that Spring brings, I'm so there too...can't wait till I feel good enough to make some fresh {& cheap} Spring decor items...thanks for the inspiration!

xo,*S

Carrie said...

What a great idea...can't wait to see the finished product!

Canadian Kristin said...

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh! I am SO going to get M working on that project! She loves the bag of fabric she was given for sewing and this is such a fun idea! Thanks for sharing!