Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Oh Lord, Don't Bother!

As the parents of two lovely little ladies, Matt and I make a conscious effort to really speak into them positive words of affirmation and love. Things that will plant themselves deep in their spirits and over time grow into a strong and beautiful self image centered deep in the heart of God.

This past Sunday we were reminded of this again as we listened to a speaker at church share a humorous story of his experience doing this with his own little ladies.

In the past our girls listen and just eat up what we have to say, but this week Madelyne seems to have decided its time to put in her own "two cents."

Last night, after a particularly long and difficult day, full of not listening, Matt was have some quality time with Miss Mo. He again started telling her all sorts of lovely things about herself and this is how the conversation went:
Daddy: "M - you're the most beautiful girl in your class."

M: "No I'm not, Brooklyn is."

Daddy: "No love, you are, and you are the most beautifully dressed girl too!"

M: "No dad, Brooklyn dresses way nicer than I do."

Daddy: "M - you are the fastest runner in your class."

M: "Nope - Ben is!"

Daddy: "Okay M - we're going to pray and tonight we're going to ask Jesus to show you how He sees you and how I see you - as the best and most beautiful."

Daddy's prayer: "Jesus, thank-you so much for M, tonight I pray that you would show her just how beautiful she is..."

Miss Mo interrupts with: "don't bother!"

Daddy: "Pardon love?"

M: "Oh Lord, don't bother!"

Daddy: "Why would you say that?"

M: "Lord, don't waste your time. I already know I'm the best."

Needless to say, we had a good laugh when Matt came down and shared this story with me. I guess, in some strange way what we're doing is sinking in - even if it doesn't always sound like it.

And maybe, just maybe, we could learn a thing or two - embrace the things we know to be true, don't second guess them and let God work on the bigger things instead.


4 comments:

Laura said...

I LOVE IT! that is so great Lisa!

Tawn said...

My hubby and I laughed OUTLOUD as I read this to him ...

Treena said...

Oh that is too funny! Like you said at least she knows it :)

Shawna said...

That's our Maddy!!! Love it, Matt, look you've got a little one that's just one step ahead of ya! Oh the joys!